Tuesday, July 06, 2010

books

I've been reading a LOT lately. I finished 3 books in the last month. THREE!! I don't think I've done that much reading for pleasure since before kids and grad school, so a decade ago. I read a really interesting book called For Women Only: What you need to know about the inner lives of men by Shaunti Feldhahn. It was pretty interesting. It had a lot of discussion about religion and God, but I skimmed that stuff and the basic info about how men are wired was pretty interesting.

At the beach, I finished a paperbook someone had given me called Still Life by Joy Fielding. About a third of the way through, I really just wanted it to be over, so instead of just jumping ahead, I read it really fast so I could be done. I wasn't that into it, but it was ok.

The third book was The Believers by Zoe Heller. Like Still Life, it was about someone in a coma (how I ended up with 2 books about people in comas, I'll never know). It was recommended on Meghan Daum's blog, and since I've enjoyed reading her writing over the years, I checked it out from the library. I definitely enjoyed it, and was a bit sad when it was over. I almost missed the characters when they were gone.

On the recommendation from a friend, I'm now reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. It's so well-written, I can just feel myself immersed in the lives of the characters. I think I'm about to get to the dramatic turning point. Don't tell me what happens!

A friend invited me to join her book club, so I think I'll do that too. I really do love to read, but life has been getting in the way. No more!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home