Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cashew Allergy

It looks like Henry has an allergy to cashews. He had some at my parents' house the other day and broke out in hives. We couldn't find any children's Benadryl, but some children's Zyrtec cleared it up right away. So today I picked up an epi-pen from the pharmacy and I'll be making an appointment at the allergist. What's weird is that our neighbor's son has a cashew allergy as well. I'm wondering if our neighborhood is built on a superfund site.

On one level, I'm just glad it's not peanuts. I am pretty sad for him, though. Since cashews are tree nuts (legumes, actually), he has to stay away from all tree nuts, including pecans. So that pecan pie I was looking forward to making from this year's crop of pecans is out. Now I'm not even sure if we should harvest the pecans or just throw them out. I guess we could give them away.

At least I'm not freaking out. I hope the visit to the allergist doesn't actually cause me to freak out. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home