Election
We have a primary election today that will decide several important races. I have to say the decline in newspapers has really affected the coverage of the election. I really could care less about how proud Chipper Jones' dad is of him, yet it's really important to me who is my state house representative and sheriff. Don't get me wrong, I love Chipper, and the Braves, and I'm sure Larry, Sr. is mighty proud, but it just doesn't affect my life in any significant way!
I know, I should be following these races in the months before election day, but if all the local newspapers cover is fires and human interest stories, it's really hard to find info. There's nothing in the local papers, even in previous months, that is helpful at all. Honestly, I cannot find anything other than the League of Women Voters' online voter's guide to tell me the history of these two candidates, like whether either of them has been competent in any way in the past. Their own answers to questions in the voters' guide is fine, but it's not much more than election campaign slogans.
I guess I'm reduced to voting based on endorsements. And I know I should probably buy the newspaper so that newspapers had the money to cover the stuff that was really important instead of what sells papers, but maybe it just makes me sad that the election stuff doesn't sell papers. Hell, if the AJC would publish a real voters' guide, with profiles of each candidate, even in the measly court clerk race, I might even pay $10 for that. As it is, I've wasted the whole morning looking up information, only to find mostly nothing.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home