Saturday, July 05, 2008

This week

Somewhat eventful week. Wes got home from 2 weeks in China on Saturday, then had Monday off to recuperate. We had a nice quiet family weekend together.

I took the dogs to the vet on Monday morning and decided to walk, since Wes could stay home with the kiddoes and it was a nice day. Unfortunately, the morning dew made the grass damp, and I slid going down the hill at just the moment our neighbor's chihuahua decided to show how tough he is and ran off the porch to attack my dogs. My dogs thought they should check this out, so while they were pulling me down the hill, they changed course toward the other dog, causing me to tumble down the short hill. It wasn't too bad, but as I rolled, I thought, "hey, my knee is going to hurt later" and "please don't kill the neighbor's dog!" So I got upright with one dog still in hand, yelling for Wes to come and get the other dog, but my neighbor had things well in hand, with his dog in one hand and our dog's collar in the other. The chihuahua was still growling. I shudder to think what would have happened if ours had gotten hold of him. They aren't generally vicious, but the squirrels, birds and cats who enter our yard haven't fared well, so I worry about tiny dogs, even ones they know from sniffing across the fence.

Anyway, we spent the rest of the day post-vet going to IKEA and seeing Wall-E with the kids. As time wore on, I became less and less mobile, to the point that I was limping visibly by dinner. I had a meet and greet with a mayoral candidate that night, which I managed to get there and back, but I spent the rest of the evening with an ice bag on my knee. I'm pretty sure it's just twisted, because I can walk on it, even though it feels better with some wrapping on it, but it's the side-to-side motions that are no good. I've been on my feet a lot this week, and still it's not terribly swollen or worse, so I'll just wait it out.

We enjoyed Wall-E a lot, especially the fact that our kids could go with us. Margaret asked a million questions and got a little scared at one point, but otherwise they seemed to like it. I'm pretty sure the message went way over their heads, but that's ok. We got to see a movie in a theater!!

And on Sunday my dear friend Lewis turned me on to the fact that the Sunday paper had a card in it that would give me a free Starbucks coffee every day until July 14. FREE!! I was this happy:
I have been enjoying my daily coffee. Yum!

We had a nice cookout yesterday with friends for the 4th, and Wes did an awesome low country boil. Afterwards we went to the metropolis of Chamblee for fireworks. It was fabulous! No fighting traffic, no parking fee, no huge crowds. My friend Matt let us park at his house and we all walked down to the park, saw the fireworks, and walked back. Even the traffic getting out of his neighborhood was no big deal compared to the giant fireworks things in the city, and the program was great! The kids loved it too. Margaret thought it was too loud, but from the first explosion, Henry acted like this was what he had been waiting for his whole life. This might become a family tradition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home