Rain
For background, Atlanta is having a big old drought. It's not the worst ever, but combined with the growth in population, it's been pretty significant. A local garden center chain had to declare bankruptcy over the winter because the rules against watering destroyed their business.
So, I took three kids to a movie in midtown today, forcing them to walk in the pouring rain for 3 blocks, all the while thinking, "it wasn't supposed to rain ALL day today!"
So I was a little curious as to how much rain we actually got today, and I see this on Weather Underground:
****************
Statement as of 8:16 PM EDT on July 13, 2008
... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Atlanta...
a record rainfall of 2.1 inch(es) was set at Atlanta today.
This breaks the old record of 1.45 set in 1911.
*****************
I assume this is just the record for today, but I wonder what the record rainfall ever is for Atlanta? I'm procrastinating right now, so I can't spend time googling it, but if anyone finds out, I'd be curious.
The kids seemed delighted that the drought was over. I didn't have the heart to tell them that this still wasn't enough rain to actually remove the drought, especially since we all had wet feet. Luckily, they took the whole thing as an adventure and we had a good time watching the movie.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home