Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Am I ready to go back to work?

Ack! This morning I was thinking how I might like to be a lactation consultant. I get so tired of hearing women be told by LCs that they just can't nurse their babies. It pisses me off. At Henry's last doctor's appointment, I saw a couple getting their newborn weighed, and it turned out that the baby had lost 2 oz. since the previous weight check. The mother gasped "oh no!!" so desperately that I wanted to hug her. She seemed so sad. I imagine (I have no idea whether this is true or not) that she was probably having bf problems and was about to head home with a case of formula. I do know some women who pumped and supplemented with formula to get over the hump of early difficulties, but it is so freaking hard that I can't blame anyone for giving up. I really really hoped that she would also be given a home visit from a lactation consultant (a supportive, helpful one), but I somehow doubted it (sadly, I'm pretty familiar with the attitude of this practice towards breastfeeding, and it's not ideal). It just made me so sad. I really wanted to go over and give this woman a hug, but I figured that would freak her out. Plus, you know, I pretty much imagined her entire scenario, so I might actually be dead wrong about it.

So I looked up some programs for becoming a lactation consultant. For better or worse, it can be done online, and for not a terribly huge amount of money (not that I have any extra money, but hey). So, mmmm....

Cut to this afternoon: I get an email from the department where I got my M.Ed. It was an ad for a job managing a peer health education program at a college in the suburbs. So considering I have extensive experience with college students, have a health ed degree, AND the hiring director is an old classmate I was friendly with, I might actually have a pretty good shot at getting this if I applied. It only asks for a bachelor's degree (or even a HS diploma with enough experience in the field), but since I've been out of the workforce since I actually got my degree, it might balance out. It might even be a dream job situation.

But, am I ready to go to work full-time?? I've never been a true working mom. I have really been enjoying being home with the kids lately, even though I still think sometimes that Margaret watches waaay too much tv. I'm a lousy housekeeper, so the place would probably be cleaner if I wasn't here all day to mess it up. If I don't try for this job, will I miss out on a perfect opportunity? Should I just look deeper into the LC certification in the meantime? There is also the problem that my teaching certificate is going to run out in 2 years, so I'll definitely need some continuing ed to keep that current. With all the focus on testing in schools, I'm worried there won't be any jobs for health teachers in the coming years, so I even have considered getting certified in Biology or something so I'd be more marketable.

Is this a sign?? Or should I assume the perfect job will be out there when I'm ready?

1 Comments:

Blogger donnadb said...

You should go for it. It's something you care about and something you're trained to do. Try for it, and if they offer you the job, cross that bridge then, not before. Just remember that you retain the power of choice right up until the end -- you can always say no or yes or please give me more money please.

My house is so much cleaner since me and the stay-at-home parent both decided we needed to hire a house cleaning service.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home