Tuesday, August 01, 2006

non-mama stuff

Things I've recently done that did not in any way involve my persona as a mom:

- went to see Neko Case waaay back in March. She was great, and Kelly Hogan opened, so it was extra awesome. I love Kelly. The show made me flash back to many nights at the Downstairs as we sat at Kelly's feet listening to her sing with The Jody Grind. Good times.

- Read TWO non-parenting books. The Hours by Michael Cunningham and The Edge of Marriage by Hester Kaplan. I really liked The Hours. The Edge of Marriage was fine, but it didn't stick with me....perhaps because my marriage is newer and less sad than some of the ones she wrote about (it's fiction, but her writing was pretty sharp). Some of the stories were better than others.

- watched Secretary on DVD this weekend. It was a really sweet love story about an S&M relationship. I liked it.

There you go. See, I haven't lost myself in parenting. Not really.

1 Comments:

Blogger donnadb said...

Those were indeed good times. Good Times.

If you liked The Hours, you'll probably like Michael Cunningham's latest, Specimen Days, which is all about Walt Whitman past, present, and (amazingly) future. I wrote a very positive review of it here.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home