What I've been making

I usually forget to take pictures of the yarn projects I make, like the scarf I knitted for my friend Anne for Christmas (I enjoyed that pattern so much I might make another one just for me). But this time I remembered. I crocheted this cute baby sweater from this pattern for my friend Debbie's baby (due in a few weeks). I crocheted it in the back loops of each stitch and so it ended up with the fun striped look. It worked up really really fast and so so so easy in just one skein of Lion Brand Homespun. I have mixed feelings about this yarn...it is really soft and works up fast, but I have heard mixed reviews about how it wears over time. I think if it pills up really badly or whatever after washing that it's not worth it, since the point of using acrylic for baby stuff is that it can be tossed in the machine. I might switch to making baby stuff with cotton, although that tends to be more expensive. Oh well, since it's for a small baby, it probably won't get washed a zillion times before it's outgrown, right? And it's all in half double crochet, except the edging, so really really easy.
Here are the crocheted buttons:
I liked doing this so much that I'm going to make several for a few other people having babies this year. I will probably try to expand my skills by trying a more decorative picot trim or something, and maybe adding some crocheted flowers (I love making those little flowers. They are so addictive!)
For the record, every single time I crochet something, I have to refer to my reference book to remember the difference between a single crochet and a half double crochet and a double crochet. So it was really nice that I didn't have to switch to any other stitches for this one.



2 Comments:
I love it! I've been trying to learn to knit (read: bought stuff and knitted for one afternoon) but I've lost steam. I have fantasies about sitting in my recliner with my knitting spread out over my belly, but it's not happening.
I could *not* knit when I was pregnant. I had no concentration and I couldn't keep track of how many stitches I had on the needle. I remember trying to do a project and literally counting the stitches on one row 5 times before just giving up.
Maybe this time next year you can try learning again.
Post a Comment
<< Home