Friday, January 19, 2007

Nuggets from the past month

- One day before Christmas, I got a craving for a bagel and went through the drive-through of the local Einstein's bagel shop. When I got to the window, the cashier told me that the woman in front of me had paid for my food. I didn't even remember what she was driving! So thank you, nice lady. What a kind gesture.

- I just signed up to do some technical writing (actually, writing flash cards for studying for certification exams). I have no idea if I have time or energy to do this, but I hope I can manage it because I need the money.

- I'm probably going back to work this fall, so I'm going to start looking for teaching jobs. The freaking out has begun.

- I bought some pillow covers on sale from IKEA to cover our hideous grey pattern fringed pillows in the living room, and suddenly our living room looked a million times better. I was inspired to buy new curtains and begin shopping for cheap but durable fabric to cover the couch that is currently covered in a blanket. And despite the concern of a certain female relative, the new pillows and curtains are a wine color that matches our futon cover, and yes, our walls are orange. You don't have to like it, because I do, and I live here. At least everything will be part of a color theme (even if it is weird), instead of looking like a patchwork of different colors.

- Despite my mention of buying curtains, I'm committed to strive for financial discipline this year. We make plenty of money, so there's no reason for us to have credit card debt and no emergency fund.

- I honestly think 2006 was one of the best of my life. Henry has been such an easy baby, and aside from a few bumps in the road with Margaret, she has generally adapted well to being a great big sister. These kids completely kick ass, and I'm really lucky they are mine. Wes and I adapted easily to being parents of two, and I've been feeling so much calmer about everything. It's probably some of the good nursing hormones helping me to feel this way, but this year was so much easier and happier than Margaret's first year. They are such different babies, but more importantly, I am a different mom. I'm more confident, less anxious, better rested, and I've mostly figured out what my priorities are instead of trying to do everything.

- That said, I think in 2007, I need to concentrate on rekindling my friendships. Henry will be 1 in a few weeks, and it's time to start getting back into my world.

- I think we're done having babies. There's just no way I can shepherd 3 children, not to mention the problem of buying a new car, finding new places to sleep, etc. The baby lust from earlier this year has subsided, and now I'm content to just try to grab other people's newborns for a quick snuggle when I can. Luckily my friends are still having babies, so I can still probably manage it. I think I probably won't do anything permanent about preventing another pregnancy until I turn 40 (only 2 years!), but I think we're really done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home