Friday, July 01, 2005

I'm pregnant

Oh yeah. I've actually known about this since Memorial Day. The week we were at the beach, I was in the 2-week waiting period, where we had timed it, done the deed, and it was too early to test. Then my period didn't come on Monday when it was supposed to, and I knew. I'm pretty darn clockwork regular. But, I didn't test right away because I just wasn't ready to play the role of pregnant woman. I had melted down at the beach when I couldn't get Margaret to sleep, and I told Wes I didn't think I could handle 2 kids. But of course, both of us knew that it might just be too late. And it was.

I waited until Saturday to test. I wanted to be a regular person for awhile, before the congratulations, and the excitement about the baby started. When you're pregnant, it starts to be about how your body feels, and the baby's needs, and how you'll manage your family. It stops being about the person you are. And I was just starting to get "me" back. I knew I was pregnant, but I was just not ready to start "being" pregnant. I didn't eat or do anything I shouldn't have that week or anything, I just went on as usual.

I am terrified. I still have no idea how I'm going to manage 2 kids. Margaret wears me out every. single. day. I always wanted Margaret to have a sibling, because I loved having one, but it will be so hard at first. I guess knowing how hard it was last time makes it even more terrifying, instead of less. At least I have a clue what I'm doing this time. But my precious time to myself is going to go away even more once there's another baby vying for my attention.

Of course, part of my issue now is that this pregnancy is making me exhausted, and unlike last time, my brain has shut down. I literally can't remember anything, and I feel constantly like I've taken antihistamines and have the druggy brain fog. I do have a cold, but the feeling has been going on longer than the cold, and no antihistamines have been involved. It's maddening to suddenly feel really really stupid. I just can't grasp anything. I didn't have this last time. Of course, part of it is being tired, but I know that the exhaustion will only get worse once the baby gets here and wakes up every 2 hours. At least I now get an entire night's sleep in a row. It's all about perspective, baby. It's only gonna get worse. ; )

I have had my first bizarre food craving. So far, I've felt much like I did when I was pregnant with Margaret. I crave spicy foods, and suddenly the whole grain cereals and breads I usually eat are anathema, and I must eat an everything bagel with cream cheese every day. I also crave coca-cola all the time, but I think that is true for me all of the time. So far, raw vegetables are still acceptable, unlike last time, although I don't know what will happen tomorrow. The other day, I REALLY craved hot wings. Bad. But I didn't want to spend the money, and going to a restaurant with Margaret (especially by myself) is no fun at all. So, I tried to think of what was in my house that I could put tobasco sauce on. Saltine crackers. That's right, my afternoon snack was saltine crackers dipped in tobasco sauce. I've officially eaten something weird when pregnant (the last time, I just ate a lot of spinach quesadillas with jalapeno peppers).

Boy, am I tired. Have I mentioned that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you! A second baby is great! It does get easier, don't despair. You are going through hormonal changes and adjusting to a life altering event. So, be kind to yourself and give yourself time to adjust. Your body is changing and yes it may slow you down more the second time round...so take it easy, find someone to take care of your toddler and take a day to nap.

I don't think the work necessarily gets exponetially more with two kids. And, the pressure is off, since you have already figured out how to do the whole baby thing with the first, diapers, feedings, late nights. You already know the ropes and what you are in for. So relax and enjoy the idea of a new life. Let your first become a little more independent of you. Eventually you will find that the children will entertain each other freeing you up to do other things! I think having just one child would be difficult. But, what do I know, I have three boys! : )

(p.s. I have to admit I am intrigued & amused by the name of your blog...so I check in now and again to see how the battle is being waged and who is winning!)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Melissa. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. I'm always astonished that anyone is reading it, let alone someone I don't know! I often apologize to my faraway friends because I have so little of interest to share with them via blog.

I think having 2 kids will be good, once I have them over the age of 2. The early years are the killer. If I didn't think it got easier as they got older, I think I wouldn't have had any children at all!

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home