Sunday, April 06, 2008

Girls Day

This year, I have arranged our schedule to be such that Margaret and Henry each get a day with me all to themselves. It's ridiculous in a way, because every day is different, but I love having some one on one time with each kid. On the days that Henry goes to his grandparents (most Tuesdays), it's Girls Day. As the year wears on, I realize that Margaret will be going to school full time next year and our Girls Days will be more infrequent.

Our first Girls' Day back in August was great, and also somewhat of a disaster. We went with our friends to the High Museum of Art, saw the exhibit (which I think still included a painting of a Princess Marguerite, then 3 years old, just like my own Princess Margaret was at the time). We also played in the museum's cool kids area. Unfortunately, the day ended with Margaret breaking her arm on the playground, but at least the boys had gotten home by then.

Since then, we've done crafts, painted our nails, gone to the park, played board games, had playdates with neighbors, gone out to lunch, watched movies and just hung out. One rule we have is that I cannot get on the computer unless I'm getting directions somewhere or checking the weather (she knows how easily I can get sucked in!). Sometimes the activities I think would be fun are nixed, and I do occasionally admit to getting bored to death by various imaginary games, but I love having my girl to myself for the day. Last week we ate lunch together at McDonald's (she was dressed in a princess dress, of course, and got much attention for it) and bought some trinkets at Target, then painted our nails and dressed in pretty clothes. I need to think of more cool things we can do together for the next few months, while our Girls Days are more frequent. And I'd like to make time for Girls Day when she is in school, on the weekends or something. She's a bit of a homebody, and when I let her decide what to do, it often involves just staying home and drawing something, but that's ok too. It seems like it will only tomorrow before she'll be off to college. *sigh*

1 Comments:

Blogger krista said...

That sounds so lovely. I used to love girl outings with my mom.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home