Mission Organization?
I enjoy the HGTV show Mission Organization because it's way easier to watch than it is to actually do the decluttering, but the episode I watched this week made me feel really sorry for the people. They were expecting twins, and lived in a small, one-bedroom Manhattan apartment. So they don't have a lot of space. They also were hoping to integrate their kids into their social life so they could grow up in a house filled with laughing and lots of people. The solution? Put the twins' crib in the living room, about 10 feet from the huge screen tv. Suuuure. That will work for a couple of months. Then you'll want somewhere quiet to put those babies to bed while you have a few treasured moments of adult time. Because you will NOT want to sleep with them for the 18 hours they need to sleep, and you probably won't want to kick your friends out of the house every time the babies need to sleep. Plus, the tv was just sitting on a low shelf, not at all secured to anything, and the shelving was that kind that hangs off the wall, and the shelves just rest on the brackets but aren't secured. Toddler death trap, I tell you.
I would have recommended a family bed (not for everyone, of course) or just putting the babies in the bedroom and a murphy bed in the living room. I'm no expert on twins, but I do have two kids, and I need for them to sleep away from where the fun adult time happens (in this house, that "fun adult time" actually means watching The Daily Show, but your mileage may vary).
I felt like they worked really hard to get a solution that would buy them maybe 6 months before they had to completely change it up. Or maybe they're planning on moving really soon. Because even if they weren't thinking about it before, this new arrangement will make them want to move.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home