Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sleep!!! For the love of God!!

So Henry's been having some sleep issues. He kept us up a LOT while we were on vacation, and I decided that was from teething, since he had gotten a top front tooth a week earlier. Plus he suddenly got red chapped cheeks while we were there, probably exacerbated by the dry air up there combined with his sudden increase in drooling like a bulldog. Sure enough, 3 little teeth, one front tooth and two eye teeth. Margaret had a bad time with her eye teeth too, so I wasn't surprised. Tired, but not surprised.

BUT the teeth are out (well mostly), and he's STILL waking up a zillion times at night. Last night he would wake up and sit up, which made it even harder to get him back to sleep (usually when he wakes up he lies back down like he wants to go back to sleep, so I figure we're just helping him by rubbing his back, etc.). Wes rocked him back to sleep once, but I ended up nursing him back down 2 more times (once after trying to rub his back and shush him for almost an hour). I'm a zombie today. I think I will be nightweaning him soon. I think he's probably confused as to whether or not he's allowed to nurse at night now and it would be more effective to either nurse him every time he woke up or not at all. Right now, I try not to nurse him if something else will work first, but then I cave in and nurse him when I run out of options or am too tired to stay up any longer. I think we just need to buckle down and do it though. He's almost 8 months old, so I'm right in the middle of the age when my ped thinks he should absolutely be nightweaned and the LLL thinks he's too young, so I figure it's as good a time as any. I'm freaking tired!!!! And poor Wes is also exhausted and he has a long commute to work. It scares me to imagine him driving that long without enough sleep. So if anyone has any suggestions on nightweaning an almost 8-month-old, I'll be happy to take them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home