Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My sleepy girl

Margaret and I have a deal. On school days, if she naps at school, she gets to come home and watch Sesame Street. I used to not want her watching too much tv, but then I got pregnant and desperate for more naps, and I created a monster. So when she stopped taking naps at school and instead ran around the classroom waking everyone else up, I started bribing her with her favorite show. And it worked. For months, she's happily taken that nap at school. Usually, when I ask her what she will be doing in school today, she says gleefully, "take a nap!!" I should have known there was trouble when this morning I asked her what she might do at school today and she said nothing. She just ignored the question. So naturally, when I picked her up, her teachers said she had not napped, although at least she entertained herself and didn't wake everyone up. Apparently she told her teacher that she would go home and sleep in her crib and THEN she would watch Sesame Street.

On the way home, I asked her if she would take a nap when we got home and she said she would. We got home, read a book, and she climbed into the crib on her own without the usual rigamarole that goes along with the naptime routine. However, after singing and talking to herself, "reading" books, etc. for 45 minutes, she started whining to get up. I told her that she would at least have to TRY to sleep, so she had to be quiet for 30 minutes, and if she was quiet, she could get up and watch Sesame Street. So I went to check on her, and she is indeed asleep. She really just needs to stop talking for a few minutes and she'll fall asleep. I'm very grateful, because we're going out to eat tonight, and I didn't want to bring the napless toddler with us.

The bonus is that Henry is also napping!!! Whoopee!!! How did I get so lucky?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home